Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Electronics as part of the survival zone  (Read 3509 times)

Yowbarb

Electronics as part of the survival zone
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
Jay what should we discuss on this Board?
I am not much of an expert on electronics or anything electrical either. I would be interested in seeing people's ideas on these things:
Devices that could be put at the top of the dome/shelter to moniitor the outside environment.
Some sort of periscope, viewer, cam.
A way to monitor temperature, smoke in air, radiation etc. topside. (I mentioned this in another topic.)
A way to motion scan the outside environment.
An emergency signal, push button bell or somehing if someone got stuck outside who is part of the group and needs to be let into the hatch.
Ideas anyone?
Let's assume power will fail and some sort of solar and/or battery set up will need to be used.
- Yowbarb

ASEEKERTOO

Re: Electronics as part of the survival zone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »
Jay what should we discuss on this Board?
I am not much of an expert on electronics or anything electrical either. I would be interested in seeing people's ideas on these things:
Devices that could be put at the top of the dome/shelter to moniitor the outside environment.
Some sort of periscope, viewer, cam.
A way to monitor temperature, smoke in air, radiation etc. topside. (I mentioned this in another topic.)
A way to motion scan the outside environment.
An emergency signal, push button bell or somehing if someone got stuck outside who is part of the group and needs to be let into the hatch. Ideas anyone? Let's assume power will fail and some sort of solar and/or battery set up will need to be used.
- Yowbarb
Back in the day; I worked at a Shipyard as an electrician. Ships and submarines especially had to take an extra precaution when
it came to Electrical Cabling.......... Anytime a cable penetrated a bulkhead or deck; it had to pass through a packing tube.
The packing tube had a special type of material in it that would SEAL around the cable. Why ? Because the pressure of
water that might enter a compartment would want to leak past the cable entrance if the packing tube was not there; thereby
flooding the next compartment.
If someone were in a Dome [ without windows ] or an Underground structure they better have a very good seal of any type
of penetration that went through the dome for external devices.
-------------------------------------------------
A Wireless Weatherstation may be of some help. At least it would tell you what the weather is doing outside. Wireless
rain gauges should empty out automatically. If the one you have is full all the time 24/7 then it 'might' be an indication
that it was underwater. And, it may be possible to modify a weather station for a different purpose. For instance, might
it be possible for the rain gauge to also send the PH level.....? Maybe a ' radiation level circuit' could be built and use
the Windspeed wireless sending unit to report in instead of the windspeed. Or get a Weatherstation that has 'extra'
wireless ports for additional components. Then build/buy the components that match the requirements of the wireless
sending unit.
Hold on to old VCR's and other electronic gadgets for the electronic components on them. I just recently fixed my
'Vizio' television from a few capacitors I stole from an old VCR.......... all it took was a soldering iron.
---------------------------------------
As a kid, I used to play with a square tubed periscope. The kind you stick the top over a wall and look into a viewport
to see above the wall, or around a corner...... It could not go up and down like a submarine periscope but rather it used
fixed mirrors. A high strength clear glass viewing port installed in the Dome with mirrors aligned a certain way; would route
the view from the outside to the inside of the dome. If done right; maybe it could 'Project' the view from the outside
onto the wall. Much like the middle ages people did. The original camera idea.............:) Ah, here it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura
Being able to see outside would take care of the Smoke in air monitoring.....
-------------------------------------------------------
A 'pressure' mat could be installed around the perimeter of the dome. I'm not 100% sure in my own mind how it would be
done but the gist of the idea is that if anyone or anything weighing more than X pounds would activate the pressure mat
and would send a signal to the inside thereby alerting one to something outside. If the indicator light stays on 24/7 then
something is on it; and if it goes on and off intermittently; then something or someone is walking across it.
-----------------------------------------------------
I don't have a plan for a dome or anything; but if anything I mentioned has helped out then it would be a good thing.
Peace. David

Yowbarb

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
David, this is great!
Thanks for all the ideas. I agree the tube mounting will be necessary.
Haven't figured that all out, for sure.
Back later,
Yowbarb

Believing_sets_us_free

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:51 AM »
Seen many wonderful ideas here but first of all just my opion dont know weither this will happen or not but what about the Ems ( electrical magnetic storm ) these would knock out any electrical equipment. I will be looking it electrical magnetic field and how to generate them perhaps the answer is not how to dodge the EMS but perhaps how to distort it!

And as i said in the welcome for i am a man of no great infulence in any trade but i find my self more of a see do person see it once can reconstruct it fearly easily...:P

Yowbarb

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
That's a great skill to be a "see do" person. Sounds like you could be valuable to any survival
group - and also in the Aftertime.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW