Yowbarb - SURVIVING the CHANGES > Surviving in Place

paper crete homes, update

(1/1)

Debbie:
The papercrete people are getting serious, and doing some intense testing for durability:

snip from article:
Paper Palace One was designed to test the range of  flexibility of papercrete. It  includes a curved exterior wall,  curved parapets, glass block windows, copper porch roof,  MDF doors with stone tile inlays, a four-foot un-reinforced ornate circular porch wall opening and a thick papercrete roof.

link to website and rest of article:

http://www.livinginpaper.com/current.htm

Icon:
I think having one would be really neat,,, It said about $25 per foot,,, might be something to look at.

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: Icon on November 29, 2009, 07:20:03 PM ---I think having one would be really neat,,, It said about $25 per foot,,, might be something to look at.

--- End quote ---

I wonder do they sell kits. I am thinking it would be good to have the materials to put these up in the Aftertimes, after the worst of the earth changes have passed.
Thre are some posts about papercrete in the Domes topics somewhere...

augonit:
Paper crete?  How long will it last in the rain?

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: augonit on January 07, 2011, 07:57:18 AM ---Paper crete?  How long will it last in the rain?

--- End quote ---

You are not alone in wondering this.

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/QandA/papercrete/moisture.htm

Moisture Issues with Papercrete
ASK THE EXPERT ADVICE
Links to the Ask the Experts page

Kelly Hart, who is your host at greenhomebuilding.com, has been involved with papercrete from the early days of its popularization. He included interviews with papercrete pioneers Mike McCain, Eric Patterson and Sean Sands in the video he produced: A Sampler of Alternative Homes: Approaching Sustainable Architecture. He also chronicled his own use of this amazing material in his video: Building with Bags: How We Made Our Experimental Earthbag/Papercrete House. Kelly has built and used both an electric barrel mixer, and a McCain-designed tow mixer. His house is plastered inside and out with papercrete and can be seen here. He can speak from his experience with this novel stuff, and is frank about both its pros and it cons.

..................[This whole page is about trying to seal it etc. - Yowbarb]...............................................................

Kelly Hart does not guarantee that this will keep water out on a long term basis. Here is one method he posted:

Q: If one wanted to waterproof the exterior, what do you recommend using?

A: There are several possibilities. Silicone-based water-proofing formulas that are absorbed into the papercrete seem to work well. Another option I recently found out about is Geobond, which could provide a fast, durable solution to sealing, fireproofing, and scuff-proofing papercrete (www.geobond.net).

............................................................[More info on page]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version