Solani - PREPPER'S CORNER > Survival Tools To Better Your Odds

About Sun Tzu

(1/3) > >>

Ed Douglas:
Over 2 thousand years ago, a group of military strategies was written down, and collectively, have been used in warfare, business, ad personal life. The strategies will come into play, whether it be in preparation for the passing of "X", or preparing and using military strategies to protect what you have , and your family. He said "To win without fighting is best". That is the ultimate in strategy, but it isn't that way all the time.  One old adage, and rule of thumb for centuries, before an army went into battle, was to get the high ground.  Not having the high ground was costly to General Robert E. Lee at Gettysburg. It is what ultimately caused his army to lose that most important battle. It appears that the high ground strategy will be important in the future. How high, and where? How will you take advantage of being on the high ground? There are many famous Sun Tzu strategies, but I'd like to see all of the information we can come up with about this one, first!

Carlg:
For those that do not have a copy of the book "Art of War" and you have a Kindle you can get a free copy.

The "HIGH GROUND" might not only be a piece of land but could be an attitude, a frame of mind or a mental picture.   There are many instances of the high ground being lost.  Probably the most know picture is the one of 4 men placing a flag on the "high ground".   In the days ahead being on the high ground might not be the place to be as then you are very visible.  It might just be better to be in the valley hidden from sight and let the others slug it out.  If you are going to hold the high ground you had better have the equipment and will to use it totally. 

Ed Douglas:
I agree, Carl. If I were to take high ground, the first thing to do is dig in. If only for protection from wind. The one big part of it is if the waters rise. Who knows how high we will need to be? It would appear that Uncle Sam thinks Denver is high enough(1 mile), as there is much invested there. I have heard to be above 6,00 ft, and as low as 600 ft. Who really knows? The one bad thing about being low, in a valley or such, is that the guy on the high ground can easily take shots at you. The battle for Khe Sahn in Vietnam is a good example. The main base was in a valley, with protection from fire bases all around in the surrounding hills. Unfortunately, the North Vietnamese captured those firebases and used them against the Marines in the main base. Needless to say the Marines got slapped pretty hard.

Ed Douglas:
Although Sun Tzu believed in not destroying a country, or it's army unless necessary, he was at times heartless, when it came to his own army. If they were not useful, or not totally loyal, he had them beheaded, without a second thought. I can relate that, somewhat, into how you will turn people away, that discover your shelter, or the fact that you have one, and want to be allowed in. I am sure that any of us would take in whatever would maintain the survival probabilities for the group, but anyone over that limit will have to be turned away. There is even the possibility that they are family. They might not be too happy about that, and decide to get "argumentative". There are many possibilities on how to handle this situation. Any and all ideas will help those that have shelters. What suggestions do you have for the many scenarios?

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: Carl Gustafson on April 22, 2010, 10:34:49 AM ---For those that do not have a copy of the book "Art of War" and you have a Kindle you can get a free copy.

The "HIGH GROUND" might not only be a piece of land but could be an attitude, a frame of mind or a mental picture.   There are many instances of the high ground being lost.  Probably the most know picture is the one of 4 men placing a flag on the "high ground".   In the days ahead being on the high ground might not be the place to be as then you are very visible.  It might just be better to be in the valley hidden from sight and let the others slug it out.  If you are going to hold the high ground you had better have the equipment and will to use it totally.

--- End quote ---

Carl I totally agree with the concept of being in the valley hidden from sight and letting the others slug it out.
As far as being on high ground I wouldn't mind being on a bluff, but then would dig in and be hidden.
Very interesting concepts.
- Yowbarb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version