Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Which source of power would focus on first if you had a short time to prepare?  (Read 15951 times)

VillageIdiot

Actually, you always have uva and uvb rays which is what solar panels use. They come through even in overcast skies.  Ever hear that you are more likely to get sunburned in the winter than summer?  But you don't  always have winds strong enough to make it worth your while to get wind turbines, unless you live near the shoreline.
Augie, I used to believe that too until after having a 6210 Watt solar system installed on my house 1 year ago. When it's sunny and the temperature is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the digital meter runs backwards and I'm actually selling electricity back to the power company (at a wholesale rate, of course)! However, I've learned that when the temperature dips below 60 F or we have cloudy skies, there is very little to no electricity generated by the solar panels!!!

Late last fall I thought there was a problem with my system when the meter was running forward during sunny days (temp was below 60 F).  I called the company who installed my system to diagnose the problem because (I thought) the system should always be generating electricity. After the guy ran a diagnosis on the system he informed me the system was running to factory specifications, and then he proceeded to inform me the outside temperature and direct sunlight are the compents required by the solar system to generate electricity. I asked him about constant UV rays. He informed me they had very little affect. Wish I'd known about those "details" before spending the money.

enlightenme

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
This is a no-brainer.  If you have a short time to prepare, you couldn't run out and get solar panels or put up a wind turbine.  Just imagine how long it would take to get those things after you called in your urgent order...too late.  So any generator would be the first and most likely only thing you could get in a very short amount of time.
   That's why I went with the generator and propane stove (already had a propane heater from last winter).  I got a generator at Walmart on a super clearance deal just a few weeks ago, you might want to check there.  I saved over a $100! It was tucked away in a weird corner, and I swear the aisle was just calling to me...

willsorr75

A lot of great input guys/gals. This is very informative. I appreciate the input. So far it looks like Solar is the first preference, but Wind and Gas aren't far behind. What's great about this discussion is everyone seems to have a really good point. Too bad we can't just all win the lottery and build a home that runs on all three!! Seems like the perfect system would include them all. Thanks again for the input. I wish I had added propane to the list. It didn't even cross my mind.

noproblemo2

A lot of great input guys/gals. This is very informative. I appreciate the input. So far it looks like Solar is the first preference, but Wind and Gas aren't far behind. What's great about this discussion is everyone seems to have a really good point. Too bad we can't just all win the lottery and build a home that runs on all three!! Seems like the perfect system would include them all. Thanks again for the input. I wish I had added propane to the list. It didn't even cross my mind.
Will add that I have both solar elec and solar hot water, LOVE both.

Alfred Williams

• Members
  • Prolific Member
VI great that you pointed out the ineffectiveness in cold weather. On a cold blustery night a windmill could help. I have great admiration for vertical windmills. We have so many 110and 220vac devices. It is hard to beat the work that can be got from gas. I have a 10KW backup generator. And had a chance to try it last winter. It will run my ac and an oven or burner and electronics. I cut back to 5kw on the emergency heater in the furnace and it kept us toasty when it dipped into the teens. If it is a severe situation it will be the fireplace insert. Gas would be bought ahead of an event if foreseeable. I only got the generator because we have all new energy star appliances and the freezers are full. The generator was purchased to safeguard the full freezer. Ma had to get the largest refrigerator and standing freezer. I was thinking in terms of dried food but Mom is a blanch and freeze kind of lady. I would suggest it is good to do a load test to find your week areas.
 Also I wanted to produce a plastic extrude that would allow stacking up row after row on a wide range of sizes from one extrude{{:>)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:04:07 PM by Alfred Williams »
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

bk

Do not know if the sale is at all locations, but while you are there ask to see the ad page.

Don't get me wrong I have a 8500 watt generator, dual burn stove (Coleman fuel or unleaded gas) propane stove and oil lamps with fuel.

willsorr75

Added.. Let me know if anyone thinks I should reset the poll now that propane has been added.

Solar hot water would be nice!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:26:24 PM by willsorr75 »

willsorr75

Do not know if the sale is at all locations, but while you are there ask to see the ad page.

Don't get me wrong I have a 8500 watt generator, dual burn stove (Coleman fuel or unleaded gas) propane stove and oil lamps with fuel.

I'll be sure to check it out. Would be nice to save a little, so I can spend it on some more!!! I wonder if they sell the panels without the kit. Would be nice to buy more, and not have to buy the whole kit again. I think I'll check on that when I'm there. Thanks again for the heads-up.......

willsorr75

I guess it wouldn't hurt to invest in a good siphon pump. I'm sure there are going to be tons of cars sitting around when the crap hits the fan. Especially if there is a solar flare that destroys most electronics..

noproblemo2

Added.. Let me know if anyone thinks I should reset the poll now that propane has been added.

Solar hot water would be nice!!
Problem is propane may not be readily available

willsorr75

[/quote]

I think I might have misunderstood you. Were you asking me to add propane, or were you just making a statement...

noproblemo2

I think I might have misunderstood you. Were you asking me to add propane, or were you just making a statement...
[/quote]Just a statement as propane may become scarce...

willsorr75

Just a statement as propane may become scarce...
[/quote]

Ok, I see. My name being "Will" can get me into trouble sometimes!!

I'll remove propane..

noproblemo2

Just a statement as propane may become scarce...

Ok, I see. My name being "Will" can get me into trouble sometimes!!

I'll remove propane..
[/quote]Actually would just leave it, my statement is what I feel and mine only. I think we will be doing things in the manner of our ancestors

Bane

Combo power...solar, wind, earth battery and Tesla magnifying transformer. There are quite few transistors that serve as solar panels...the problem is that it takes lot of time to cut the boxes open without damaging the junctions. Also in post shtf times, you'll have millions of cars sitting around...and they all have alternators...wind power galore...lol
And last, but not least, the brilliant Stirling engine. Yes, it's loud and noisy, but making electricity with wood fire while cooking or grilling is fun!

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW