Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Which source of power would focus on first if you had a short time to prepare?  (Read 15959 times)

willsorr75

This poll can benefit those who find it hard to come up with the money for preparation. The first step is the most important when moving forward. When it comes to survival, there is no room for mistakes...

_cj_

solar pv if you have the cash ..everytime

with a nice store of propane in reserve  :D

Regards,

alex

willsorr75

with a nice store of propane in reserve  :D

So true, it's very easy to forget about the benefits of propane. The little tanks out Walmart are very affordable...

_cj_

propane is easy to cook on and you can convert you gasoline generator to run on propane  ;)

Regards,

alex

willsorr75

Wow, I did not realize that Alex. I have to admit, I lack certain DIY skills that would be very beneficial when the crap hits the fan. The one thing (Information Technology) I'm good at won't be much use when time comes, but I will have an awesome security system running off solar panels!!!  No one will be able to get in my yard without me knowing! Well, unless they wait till there is a week schedule for a lot of clouds, then I'm a sitting duck!!!!

Thanks,
Will
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:51:51 PM by willsorr75 »

bk

Go solar or wind, gas will run out at some point, and it will make a lot of noise and bring people to your location.

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
  No argument as to which is easier to conceal. A generator is noisy. 

Assuming power inverters are already obtained,  and solar, wind, or a generator is being used to charge batteries ,a generator is, in my opinion, best for short term power.  When power has been interrupted where I live, it has been short term.  My guess is that we will experience  more than one episode of outages with this wild weather before the SHTF.  It is for this reason that my FIRST choice would be a small, ultra quiet Honda generator, with focus on solar and wind for the long haul later. 

bk

Posted this info elsewhere thought it might help here.

Harbor Freight has a tent sale August 26-28 listed is a 45 watt solar panel kit $149.99

not a bad price to get some basics.

Initalone

• Members
  • Trusted Member
  Wow, that is a good price!  I have two of the 45 watt Harbor Freight solar panel kits, but haven't tried them out.  I think they 229.00 when I bought them a couple of years ago.

errrv

Higuys! I am running solar as well, but I really believe that going completely away from electric (if you can) would be the best bet. Until 1900s most people did not have electricity! I just bought 2 hurricane lanterns plus 1 gallon of coal oil for under $15 at walmart. Cumberland Gap has wood cooking stoves priced from $250 to $4000 depending on how fancy you wanna go. If you build underground for the hot months, you need no cooling system. Deep well (200ft) hand pumps run anywhere from $400 to $1000 depending on what you get, while a shallow well/cistern pump runs $100.

http://www.cumberlandgap.com/

Www.Lehmans.com
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:12:50 PM by errrv »

willsorr75

Posted this info elsewhere thought it might help here.

Harbor Freight has a tent sale August 26-28 listed is a 45 watt solar panel kit $149.99

not a bad price to get some basics.

Do you know if this will be all Harbor Freights? I was going to Harbor Freight tomorrow to buy the 45 watt solar kit for 199.99. Sure would be nice to save 50 dollars!

augonit

This is a no-brainer.  If you have a short time to prepare, you couldn't run out and get solar panels or put up a wind turbine.  Just imagine how long it would take to get those things after you called in your urgent order...too late.  So any generator would be the first and most likely only thing you could get in a very short amount of time.

The Heritic

Bingo!

Lori

I would go with wind.  You always have wind or breezes you don't always have the sun. 

augonit

Actually, you always have uva and uvb rays which is what solar panels use. They come through even in overcast skies.  Ever hear that you are more likely to get sunburned in the winter than summer?  But you don't  always have winds strong enough to make it worth your while to get wind turbines, unless you live near the shoreline.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW