Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: A "gadget" is the result of ingenuity  (Read 8966 times)

Yowbarb

A "gadget" is the result of ingenuity
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
So what is a "gadget"? I'm realizing it is more about something created out of necessity and out of ingenuity.
That is: A gadget is more about ingenuity than about something which can be purchased in an online catalog (although purchasing survival tools is a very good idea, and soon.) Post here in this Topic some gadgets you have come up with in the past, any any ideas of such things which could help in the future. After all, the name of this Special Topic is "Boneyard Survival Gadgets."

- Yowbarb

===========================================
Definition
gadget –noun
a mechanical contrivance or device; any ingenious article
Origin: 1850–55; orig. uncert.; cf. F gâchette  the catch of a lock, sear of a gunlock
—Synonyms
contraption; whatsis, doohickey, thingamajig.

- Dictionary.com
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:01:09 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

Re: A "gadget" is the result of ingenuity
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »
"My favorite Survivorman low-tech gadget"
  1:53 PM Mon, Feb 16, 2009
Victor Godinez/Reporter

So I spent this past weekend watching way too much Survivorman and Man vs. Wild, and both shows feature plenty of make-shifts gadgets and homemade survival gear, whether it's a hammock made of vines or molten tree sap blended with ash to patch a hole in a canoe.

But my favorite low-tech gadget came in the "Colorado Rockies" episode of Survivorman where Les Stroud uses a flashlight to ignite his camp fire.

He takes the bulb out of his flashlight, and then breaks the bulb but leaves the filament intact. Then he puts everything back together, stuffs some dry grass into the front of the flashlight and turns it on. The hot filament lights the grass and away he goes.

Good stuff!

By the way, I predict that these survival shows are about to get a huge ratings boost (if they haven't already) as fear about the economy continues to fester and a large chunk of the population begins to ponder a post-apocalyptic existence of subsisting on bugs and worms and building shelters out of barrels and driftwood.

Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
Necessity is the Mother of Invention. We have made air compressors out of a car a/c compressors, knives and machetes from lawn mower blades and files. Even an old one quart oil container. If you have a atv, that make a great emergency gas can. You can fit one about anywhere, and one quart might get you back home if need be.
The list goes on... it's just that when you need something, all you need is some common sense and figure out what can be used for other purposes.
I tend to collect a lot of junk that way,, :-[

Yowbarb

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:06:35 PM »
ICON these are some interesting thoughts...
Todays junk will be tomorrow's precious commodity. I think a good place to stash stuff would be
out on the survival land... to save for the aftertimes...
Yowbarb

alaskanwinter

Re: A "gadget" is the result of ingenuity/buckets
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »
My own survival experience taught me you can never own to many buckets.  Food storage is nice but not if the critters find your pantry.  Critters are always in survival mode.  Even a small rodent infestation can destroy everything.  A sealed bucket strung up in a tree is pretty bullet proof.

A bucket with some water in it can be used as a simple but effective mouse trap.

Hauling water is at the top of any survival situation.

You can put some plastic on top to make a solar still for brackish or salt water.

You can sit on them or make a platform to keep poisinous or obnoxious critters out of your clothes when you sleep.

If you poke holes in them and make a small opening on top you have an effective freshwater prawn (Hawaii) or crayfish trap (U.S.).

Buckets are effective at hauling butchered meat and much easier to clean than a backpack.  Not to mention fruit and vegetable harvesting.

In Arctic areas buckets can be used for a very simple raised bed for growing vegetables or root crops.

They can even be an effective distraction in hostile territory.  The bright orange home depot ones are best for this.  If someone is tracking you and you want to get the drop on them leave a bright orange bucket on the trail with apparent goodies in it.  The odds are close to a hundred percent anyone happening by will stop to examine it and possibly drop whatever weapon they have at hand.

There are probably more uses as well.  Moral of the story never throw away a bucket.

Yowbarb

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
Bicycle powered generator  1:57 12,224 Views

VIDEO LINK: http://youtu.be/nPrBHoyBasQ

Uploaded by sunharvester on Mar 28, 2010
A video showing how you can use a bicyle to produce electricity to power your home.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW