Yowbarb - SURVIVING the CHANGES > Survival Shelter and Location Ideas

Survival Community w/Domes

<< < (3/3)

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: enlightenme on July 03, 2011, 06:20:44 AM ---Thanks so much for the research, it might be a possibility going with the one you suggested and hubby is currently in the scrap metal recycling business...hmmm, now if I can just get him a little bit more onboard, he's coming around though.

--- End quote ---

enlightenme, it's a good thing your husband knows a lot about construction already. I will try harder; cannot say for sure which home kit is best.
Please tell him, bear in mind there could be earth movement, 200 + winds etc. I have seen videos of a (I think it was K Mart store) after a F5 and wow it was a crumpled mess. So the monolithic dome structure, reinforced supposedly holds up better than these store buildings...
Looking for input from some structural engineering experts here.
I can tell you one thing: 
There is a wide range of domes and what is considered a "strong" dome.
Important the framework be strong and the dome be anchored down into the reinforced concrete too. The G.F.R. within the concrete probably a good idea too. 
Posted a whole lot of links in the dome Topic will review more and see what we can find.

I am thinking that, in addition to being a monolithic structre, reinforced, with glass resin fiber -reinforced concrete, set down and secured in concrete, possibly cables, that it needs to be at least partially buried in earth to withstand the winds which could come.

Note: F5 is 261–318 mph.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujita_scale 

- Yowbarb

IMAGE: DOMES INT GRF REINFORCED

enlightenme:
you must have been reading my mind friend... I was thinking it would have to be partially buried in the ground as well, and figured hubby would just laugh at me if I didn't mention that part (Guy thing, always has to be smarter, you know...like when I came home so proud with my new generator the other day, he had to immediately find out about the conversion to cooking oil/alternative fuels from gas..but hey, I think he's coming around don't you???)

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: enlightenme on July 03, 2011, 12:11:53 PM ---you must have been reading my mind friend... I was thinking it would have to be partially buried in the ground as well, and figured hubby would just laugh at me if I didn't mention that part (Guy thing, always has to be smarter, you know...like when I came home so proud with my new generator the other day, he had to immediately find out about the conversion to cooking oil/alternative fuels from gas..but hey, I think he's coming around don't you???)

--- End quote ---

I am glad you are thinking the same thing. Earth does definitely add weight which does protect the structure. As long as the structure itself is strong. I am thrilled you have someone with good sense and it sounds like he will do what is needed.  :)
Wishing you two and all of your group the best of luck,   :)
Yowbarb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version