Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Emergency fire starting supplies.  (Read 7940 times)

Icon

Emergency fire starting supplies.
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
I am all about the right tools for the job, and fire making is no different. I have boxes and boxes of matches, and a couple cases of bic lighters, and even some magnesium fire starters.
But the main survival fire starter is the Firesteel from http://firesteel.com/.
Matches can get wet, lighters do not always work,, I've had a few that the flint turns to mush when wet.
Magnesium is not always easy to ignite with the striker that comes with it,,, and thus the Firesteel.
A small pile of shavings from a magnesium bar, cotton balls, or other tender, and the Firesteel will light it with no problem.
And depending on the size, will last for thousands of fires. If you need a great emergency fire starter for your supplies, take a look and see what you think.

Lori

Re: Emergency fire starting supplies.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:30:45 AM »
Ronnie, I just watched a survival show and he showed that you can use copper metal scrubbers used on pots and pans for cleaning.  They contain a oil that burns easily and can be used to start fires.  All you need is a lighter and it produces a an almost smokeless flame.  Something important when it comes to survival.

Yowbarb

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »
Ronnie, I just watched a survival show and he showed that you can use copper metal scrubbers used on pots and pans for cleaning.  They contain a oil that burns easily and can be used to start fires.  All you need is a lighter and it produces a an almost smokeless flame.  Something important when it comes to survival.

Lori, I'll have to remember that one -hadn't heard of it..

http://www.survivalschool.com/products/fire_starting/Flint_Steel_High_Intensity.htm
Flint and Steel Kits Make fire with kits.

http://www.survivalschool.com/articles/How_to_use_Tinder_Fungus.htm
How to use tinder fungus to make a fire

- Yowbarb

Yowbarb

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
I am all about the right tools for the job, and fire making is no different. I have boxes and boxes of matches, and a couple cases of bic lighters, and even some magnesium fire starters.
But the main survival fire starter is the Firesteel from http://firesteel.com/.
Matches can get wet, lighters do not always work,, I've had a few that the flint turns to mush when wet.
Magnesium is not always easy to ignite with the striker that comes with it,,, and thus the Firesteel.
A small pile of shavings from a magnesium bar, cotton balls, or other tender, and the Firesteel will light it with no problem.
And depending on the size, will last for thousands of fires. If you need a great emergency fire starter for your supplies, take a look and see what you think.

BTW Icon I agree that the Firesteel is probably the best thing to have around for making fires and several of them would be a good addition to any survival list.
http://www.jazebra.com/images/product-shots/firesteel/firesteel-strike-new-3.jpg

http://www.jazebra.com/swedish-firesteel-army.html
- Yowbarb

Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
So true Barb.. Fire will be one of the most important tools we will ever have.
I only have three firesteels, but at the price, I plan on having a few more.
I have prolly a dozen of the old magnesium bars, with the flint on the side, but never works very well.
But now I can use the magnesium with the firesteel, and make fires very quickly.
Ron at firesteel can answer any questions anyone might have, and he is a super nice guy.

Archangel

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:09:55 AM »
One of the easiest methods of starting a fire is with steel wool and a 9 volt battery.  Batteries when stored last a long time and anyone can use this method to start a fire.  Just rub the two ends of the battery on the steel wool, it creates a short and the steel fibers get red hot and begin to burn.  Just have kindling ready and insert the wool under them.  Oh and the finer the steel fibers in the steel wool the better.  Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Archangel

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
I found a video on youtube.  I wished it showed kindling too but it does show you how to get your initial fire.  I always held the steel wool in my hand and rubbed the battery across the surface but you do have to be careful.  Love the song with this video too!!!

How to start a Fire with Steel Wool and a Battery
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:42:40 PM by Archangel »

Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
Anyone who has or needs magnesium for their fire starting supplies, here is an Ebay auction for a 1 pound rod. I bought 4 of these and they work great.
And for the amount of magnesium in this rod, it will last for years and years even if you use it regularly.
This is a great price for this item compared to buying small fire starters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Magnesium-Metal-Round-Rod-1-pound-Mg-/150440388601?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2306f227f9

Jimfarmer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »
This from a copyrighted source (so shouldn't link):

"Two items that I carry that double as accelerants for making fires are chapstick and fish oil capsules. Adding either to tinder makes starting fire so much easier that it is almost like cheating."

bk

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
Tried this the other day.
Took the strip of dryer lint out of the dryer laid it out then loosened up steel wool and put this on top then loosened up some cotton balls on top of that.

I then rolled this up and tied it with twine and melted a .50 candle over it to waterproof it. It made 6 fire starters it cost less than a dollar and the one that it burnt lasted about 10 minutes before it stopped burning, long enough to get a fire started.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW