Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: End of the Earth Postponed  (Read 9876 times)

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
End of the Earth Postponed
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:16:08 AM »
The Mayan calendar is off.  Robert Dean did talk about Jesus death being off by so many years (7). If I recall correctly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101019/sc_livescience/endoftheearthpostponed

End of the Earth Postponed by Stephanie Pappas LiveScience Senior Writer - Tue Oct 19, 7:35 am ET

It's a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn't end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will - or if it has already.

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)

The Mayan calendar was converted to today's Gregorian calendar using a calculation called the GMT constant, named for the last initials of three early Mayanist researchers. Much of the work emphasized dates recovered from colonial documents that were written in the Mayan language in the Latin alphabet, according to the chapter's author, Gerardo Aldana, University of California, Santa Barbara professor of Chicana and Chicano Studies.

Later, the GMT constant was bolstered by American linguist and anthropologist Floyd Lounsbury, who used data in the Dresden Codex Venus Table, a Mayan calendar and almanac that charts dates relative to the movements of Venus.

"He took the position that his work removed the last obstacle to fully accepting the GMT constant," Aldana said in a statement. "Others took his work even further, suggesting that he had proven the GMT constant to be correct."

But according to Aldana, Lounsbury's evidence is far from irrefutable.

"If the Venus Table cannot be used to prove the FMT as Lounsbury suggests, its acceptance depends on the reliability of the corroborating data," he said. That historical data, he said, is less reliable than the Table itself, causing the argument for the GMT constant to fall "like a stack of cards."

Aldana doesn't have any answers as to what the correct calendar conversion might be, preferring to focus on why the current interpretation may be wrong. Looks like end-of-the-world theorists may need to find another ancient calendar on which to pin their apocalyptic hopes.

8hertz
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:45:45 AM by 8hertz »

noproblemo2

Re: End of the Earth Postponed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
Very interesting article 8hertz.

Lori

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
The thing is there is other Prophesy that points to this time period as the End Days.  Jesus said that the generation that sees Israel and Jerusalem returned to them will not pass without seeing His return.  A generation is 35-65 years give or take a few.   

Israel became a nation in 1948 and Jerusalem was won back in the 6 Day War in 1967.  2012 is right in the middle with 46 years from 1967 and we are near the end of the generation if you count back to 1948 almost exactly 65 years.  Many of the the generation is still here.

Matthew 24 is the passage that speaks of this.  Its long winded however here are th passages that actually speak of Israel.

Matthew 24:32-34

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

The Fig Tree is Israel and the Leaves are Jerusalem. 

One of many predictions.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
There are many that believe the Mayan Calendar ends on Oct 28, 2011. They present a good argument.  ed

Lori

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
This actually would fit with Christ's real birth.  Its been worked out that Jesus was actually born in the the Fall or 04BC.  Possibly September 11th.  Hmmm

This is a good article.

http://petragrail.tripod.com/page5.html

The world was transfixed by the year 2000--worried about the'Y2K' bug in computers,
millennial madness in cult groups,  political union in Europe,  and a proposal to make
Mary "co-redemptrix" in the Catholic Church.  While Rome flirted with blasphemy, few
realized that the true 2000th lunar anniversary of the birth of Jesus was August 22, 1998,
or on September 11, 1998 by the solar calendar dating we now use.

Alfred Williams

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
A young friend of mine told me last weekend , It has always been like this. His feelings are mirrored across the world by the young generation that has no memory of regular seasons and have nothing to gage life by but the television programs. They will not realize it is upon us till it turns the cell and TV reception off. By then we may not even have this internet, I can only ask they be diligent in their observations because the changes are already upon us. It will be sad as everyone wakes up and the trouble is already at the door. If we had no galactic upheaval the socioeconomic plight in all its doing will be as bad as if we get anialated by fire and ice. Time to get ones life in order just due to the stuff we do here about on the TV. I am sure that everyone would like this to be just another y2k moment. Instead it is a slowmotion trainwreck of all the lies to the masses we have endured up to now{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

_cj_

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
WOW - look on the bright side mynymm

noproblemo2

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
A young friend of mine told me last weekend , It has always been like this. His feelings are mirrored across the world by the young generation that has no memory of regular seasons and have nothing to gage life by but the television programs. They will not realize it is upon us till it turns the cell and TV reception off. By then we may not even have this internet, I can only ask they be diligent in their observations because the changes are already upon us. It will be sad as everyone wakes up and the trouble is already at the door. If we had no galactic upheaval the socioeconomic plight in all its doing will be as bad as if we get anialated by fire and ice. Time to get ones life in order just due to the stuff we do here about on the TV. I am sure that everyone would like this to be just another y2k moment. Instead it is a slowmotion trainwreck of all the lies to the masses we have endured up to now{{:>)
It's sad that a younger person has to realize that "it has always been like this". That is all they will ever know, but hopefully this young one you speak of has the knowledge to prepare, sounds like he does.

_cj_

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
crikey susan - you too?????

if the world is going to end ....you know what

every day i look at my baby girl and she smiles, it makes me feel good

every day when i look at the sun and the stars, and i think how beautiful they are, it makes me feel good

take the good things in what is around you

Ill get off my soapbax now  ;)

Regards,

alex

noproblemo2

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
alex, I simply meant that things are changing fast, and the coming times may be the all these younger ones will know, our generation was lucky to have many things in life, now IF these changes do occur we need to help the younger generation to change their ways as many do not know how to get along without computers, TV's, cell phones etc.... they will need to learn a new way to live much as our ancestors did before us. There just may be some good in the coming changes, allowing us to again become more family and community minded as well as self-sufficiency. That is not all that bad a thing.

8hertz

• Lifetime
  • Prolific Member
  • pax
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
This actually would fit with Christ's real birth.  Its been worked out that Jesus was actually born in the the Fall or 04BC.  Possibly September 11th.  Hmmm

This is a good article.

http://petragrail.tripod.com/page5.html

Lori @)--}------, I really don't know which way to lean due my lack of knowledge of his birth. But the article seems to give a solid backing to the date of this birth.  Assume that those holidays all reference to the precise alignment of the planets and Stars.

Sometime I think the MSM bring up issue to spark a debate, in what I would consider a silent alert.

8hertz
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:13:08 AM by 8hertz »

Alfred Williams

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
I did not mean to sound hopeless. I just wanted to point out the lack of concern in the young people in general at least around here. Those who have good informative upbringing will do the best. My young friend sadly like many in this part of the country skipped through so much not taking in the basic history of the world. That friend has the necessary survival skills and would do better than me living off the land because he had a tough though uneducated rearing. He can not wrap his head around the vast possibilities that may come about. I can only help by giving him information as it becomes available to us all. I am glad we have the many younger informed here{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Bill

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
I have heard Christ was 33 years old when he was crucified. I have also heard he was 29. Wouldn't that put his birthday 29-33 BC.  One Ad being the first aniversary of his crucifixion.

Lori

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »
I had not heard that Bill.  If that were the case, then events could actually begin at the end of this year.

Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »
I am not an expert on much of anything,, and could be way off base, but I have never read anything that said (cept for people who do not understand and disbelievers) it would happen at the exact moment the calendar ends. This will be a progressive event.
As far as the calender goes, if you knew the world would end sometime in 2010, you probably would still finish the 2010 calender, tho it might not last through the first month.
I don't give much thought to the term, "Mayan Prophecies" because I believe it's not based on dreams, or visions, but on historical evidence.
We know there have been pole shifts before, because it has been proven to be so. If we could determine it happens in cycles, and calculate the time of the events, we might find out ourselves it happens in cycles, and forewarn our offspring a few thousand years in the future. And probably get the same disbelief that most people have now.
So, the Mayans, and other civilizations may have been able to keep track through legend, about past events and determined it all happens in cycles, and the time period of 2012 is a cycle.
And as far as cycles go, 2012 may be the good times, and after this cycle, all the Earth changes start. And cycles do not mean it happens at an exact time, just an average time period.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW